Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yarn or cleaning?

It's Saturday...

I should be cleaning my house in preparation for Chris' Confirmation in a couple weeks....but am I? Oh No... the yarn is calling my name...can you hear it?

Come....Come...Alaina....

So, I am off to spend money. I finished another pair of slippers - just need to felt them. I need to buy some more slipper yarn. The store in Duluth has twice the selection and $2 cheaper per skein of Lamb's Pride...than the LYS (10 miles away)

I also need to find some yarn to send my Swap partner for the Defeat the Winter Doldrums Dishcloth Swap. I started one of the dishcloths I am going to send her - I always send two - one "theme-oriented" and one "functional". I should have pictures of finished one soon....(the whole uploading pictures at home vs school problem)

The State One-Act Play sub-section Competition is also in Duluth today for the section involving the Duluth Schools. In the past, Nathan has competed in the One-Act here at Barnum. He actually lettered in Drama as an 8th grader. He has a natural ability and usually has the audience in the palm of his hand. This year he decided to manage the boys basketball team instead of doing drama. I was disappointed...all of his friends are in basketball...and it is so about friends when you are 15/16 years old. (and rightly so)

Anyways, I digress...the One Act competition...each of the schools are listed anonymously in the program, they are given 15 minutes to set up and then exactly 35 minutes to perform their play in front of an audience and a panel of judges. The winners are announced at the end of the day and the 1st place play goes on to compete at the state level in early February.

I love going to the competition. It's free and you get to sit and watch an entire day of one-act plays. I am so self-conscious, I would never, ever be able to get up in front of an audience and act. (I know, I stand in front and teach...that's different.) I am in awe of all involved...from the props to the actors/actresses.

So, today, along with the yarn adventure, I think Nathan and I might check out the one-act competition. Ought to be fun....

3 comments:

Alana said...

You've been tagged! Check my blog for details.

Sounds like you've been having weather that's equally as lovely as ours. Heatwave this weekend, though. Supposed to get into the 20's!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Do they ever film the plays and put them on You Tube or something like that? I love one-act plays! I am on the drama team at my church; it's nothing big, but fun to do!