Thursday, January 24, 2008

-26 degrees

That is what my car thermometer read as I drove into work this morning. I tried to take a picture...but, the road was too bumpy....

My house thermometer read -19...I thought that was cold enough....

I live in the country...as I drive pass other country homes...I saw elementary age children standing outside in -20+ weather. What are their parents thinking? It bothered me all the way in this morning....

When I had small children (elementary age) - I would either wait at the end of the driveway in a warm car... or the kids would watch from the house and run down when they saw the bus at the edge of the yard. Not a perfect solution, but a solution....

How long does it take exposed skin to freeze in -20 degree weather?

I haven't even mentioned the "wind chill" factor - that was suppose to be down to minus 35/40....

Maybe some of the area schools could have looked at a two hour late start. Let the temperature "warm" up to zero.

Where does the safety of our students come into this equation? (staff?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! The other day I could feel Jack Frost nipping at my fingers when walking the kids to school. I was only halfway home when my fingers were numb from the cold. I quickly turned the kettle on when we got home, and treated myself to a hot chocolate! The kids didn't seem to keen on playing outside after school, like they usually do. It's so windy on the way to school that I invested in some ski goggles for my children to wear, so they wouldn't get windburn.