Saturday, September 1, 2007

Friday Night Football




It has begun...Autumn is officially here...summer is over here in Minnesota....Friday Night Football begins...

Here is my youngest with game jersey...He wouldn't let me follow him to school to take a picture of him in his full gear (shoulder pads and all the stuff to protect his Junk)...and the coach kinda frowns on Moms who yell for their sons to come on over for individual pictures while the game is in progress...so, maybe a better picture will be coming someday soon...

First game tonight and he is starting as Center on the Varsity squad...the only 10th grader starting on offense. Although with the pride of the moment, I am more than a little concerned...any sport that has an ambulance on stand-by on the side lines...tends to make me a bit uncomfortable....



Another sign that summer is over...yes...that is a turtleneck you see peeking out...It is official I have donned my first turtleneck of the season...we will not be seeing any skin in the chest area until maybe next July...

I have Under Armor on under that turtleneck, said turtleneck, a hooded sweatshirt and the game jersey (he actually wore the away one and gave me the home one to wear)...and to complete the look...I wore my maroon and gold Bomber mittens...the temperature did dip down to about 55 degrees and when you are sitting on a cold bleacher with the wind freely blowing across a football field...it gets damn cold.

As a postscript...we lost 16 to 13. Lots of fumbles, loose balls (oh, I am so not going there), and interceptions.

Fun to be back among young people, cheering with familiar faces, seeing familiar faces behind football masks...faces that I've known since they were all in Little league together so many, many years ago...now, young men, playing their hearts out on an Autumn evening...football in Minnesota. Its a good thing.

2 comments:

Alana said...

WOO HOO!! You're off to school tomorrow, aren't you? Don't feel too sorry for yourself--I had three days last week, WITH kids!

I'm thinking that school may throw a serious wrench into my blog fun. Yes? Don't ya just hate it when work interferes with fun???

Anonymous said...

I know how cold it can get and change in an instant being in the upper midwest myself!! BURRRRR